Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oh Harley Bear, Where are you?

Harley Bear hasn't been seen now for about 22 hours.  It is wearing on me and breaking my heart because this is not like Harley at all.  Harley is Anna Claire's dog, but before he was Anna Claire's, he was mine.  I've had Harley longer than I have had Kerry and Kerry and I will be married 6 years in September.  I'm thinking that I have had Harley for about 9 years.  Momma and Cliff are just as attached to him as Anna Claire and I are.  Before I bought a house, I would take Harley to Momma's every morning bc I wasn't allowed to have pets where I lived, but I I had him anyway.  Then I bought the house next door and now we live behind them, so Harley has always gone to Momma's during the day and still does. 

Harley has the same routine 7 days a week.  I let him outside to go to the bathroom every morning when I get up, he walks the neighborhood, and then he pounces on Momma's back door and she lets him in.  In the afternoons, he meets me in the backyard and goes in with me.  He may go in and out a few times before bedtime, but he always comes home or goes to Momma's.  I saw him yesterday afternoon when we got home from the pool.  Momma said he was nasty bc she let him get wet and play in the dirt, so she was going to give him a bath. 

Anna Claire stayed with MeMe and Big Daddy last night, so when we walked over there I asked if they had seen Harley.  I figured he was probably in the back bedroom asleep because that is usually where he is at when I can't find him.  Momma went and looked and he wasn't there.  She said she figured he was with me and he wasn't.  It was 9:45pm and it is not like Harley to not be with one of us, especially when it's dark outside and with some of the neighbors shooting fireworks.  He is terrified of fireworks.  We looked around outside and then Kerry rode every street in the neighborhood when he got home.  We haven't found him.  It's kinda strange because when Kerry went looking for him I felt like a little girl again and hoped that if something had happened to him that Kerry wouldn't find him because I feel like Cliff should be the one to find him because he's the Big Daddy and I know that Cliff would get him and bury him before I knew that he had found him.  It wouldn't be the first time he had to do it.

I feel like I need to go look for him this afternoon, but I'm afraid to find him.  If I found him alive, that would be wonderful, but it's the other possibility that I'm afraid of.  If he's not alive, I would want him buried in the back yard with Maci and Buck.  {Yes, before to long we will have your everyday run of the mill pet cemetery in our backyard}  Anna Claire doesn't remember a lot about Maci because she was so young.  Maci loved Anna Claire too.  She remembers Buck and knows that Buck went to be with Jesus.  She swings Buck in her swing outside almost daily.

But, I'm just not sure how she will handle Harley being gone.  Harley is her dog.  If you see Anna Claire, you can bet that Harley is not far behind her.  He has loved her and been interested in her since she was a baby and vice verse.  He's bit her a few times, but only because she asked for it.  When weigh more than the dog and you pounce on him while he's asleep, more than likely the dog is going to bite you.  She prays for Harley Bear at gymnastics, she paints him pictures at school, she loves to give him begging snacks, she just loves him and I know he loves her.   
All I can do right now is just pray that he comes home safe.

I have seen this picture a lot since Anna Claire started walking.  He always lets her lead.

No comments: