Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Granny

My Granny (my Mom's Mom) passed away on March 14th.  I say my Granny, but she was everyone else's Granny too.  Momma had hoped before Anna Claire was born that she would call her Granny, but Anna Claire knew she only had one Granny and she decided to call my Mom, MeMe.  Granny passed away in her sleep.  I'm happy she went peacefully, but it was unexpected.  She had not been sick and I had seen her outside on Sunday night messing with her trash cans.  I can see her side door from our kitchen window, so any time I saw her outside messing with those silly trash cans, I made sure to watch her until she went in and shut the door.  She never knew how many days and nights I stood at the kitchen window watching her.

I explained to Anna Claire on Monday night that Granny had gone to live in Heaven with God and Baby Jesus, as she likes to call him.  It was the hardest conversation I think I have ever had to have with anyone.  I could tell that she didn't understand, so I didn't push it and just let her go back to playing.
 
By Wednesday my talk with Anna Claire was forgotten.  Anna Claire was taking pictures with her camera and asked Momma to go take a picture of Granny.  Momma wasn't prepared to have the talk with her, so she told her she wasn't at home.

Friday we had graveside services and as we waited for the service to start I saw a yellow butterfly.  Granny loved yellow butterflies, so I knew at that time that all was well with Granny.  I love her so much!!  After the services Cliff went and picked up Anna Claire at daycare and brought her to their house so she could visit.  She was outside with Cliff and Kerry and Kerry noticed she was at Granny's beating on her door and hollering for her.  This was totally normal for Anna Claire.  LOL!!  Kerry went over and sat on the steps with her and explained to her that Granny was in Heaven.  As he is telling me this story, I realize that I am glad it was him having this conversation with her and not me.  He told her that Granny wasn't at home, that she had gone to live in Heaven with God and Baby Jesus, and Anna Claire's reply was, "well Daddy, I can go in and pretend that she's at home."   You see why I was glad he shared that conversation with her and not me.  How do you respond to that?  Her innocence amazes me.

Sunday during the children's minute at church, Heaven was mentioned and she told everyone that her Granny was is Heaven.  I, along with half the church, had tears in my eyes.  It was tears of sadness, but more so tears of joy knowing that I get to share my life everyday with such a wonderfully sweet child.

We love you Granny and will miss you so much!  

1 comment:

Scott Reed said...

That was the best kid's minute ever. Love me some A/C.